Questions You Might Want To Take The Time To Ask Your Personal Injury Lawyer
Being the victim of a personal injury can impose many complications on a person. There are medical bills, recovery time, time off work, other losses, and the physical and emotional pain that comes from suffering a personal injury. Getting the compensation that you deserve may prove to be more difficult than you think, that is why it is best to contact an experienced personal injury attorney like Tourtlotte Law Firm in Billings, Montana.
An experienced personal injury lawyer will have your best interests in mind and can guide you through the lawsuit. They will also help settle negotiations and advise you to take the best route possible and help you secure the compensation that is legally owed to you. However, you don’t need to jump into a partnership with an attorney without doing a little bit of research. Here is a list of the best questions you can ask a personal injury attorney to make sure they are the right fit for you.
- Do You Work On A Contingency Basis? Most personal injury lawyers do. A contingency fee allows you to get help and support from the attorney without paying anything unless you receive compensation from your lawsuit. Contingency fees can vary so make sure you get a clear answer in the beginning.
- How Involved Will I Be? Many people want to play as small of a role in the lawsuit as possible while others really want to be involved in the in’s and out’s of the whole thing. If you want to be involved in every aspect, ask the attorney if they allow that or not. You should also ask what the attorney needs from you so that you can be as prepared as possible.
- Do You Have References? Just like any service being paid for, you should have the right to testimonials. Many attorneys have testimonials and reviews on their websites, on Facebook, or other places on the internet. You may want to go a step further and ask the attorney if there is a past client that would be willing to speak to them about their experience.
- Who Will Be Handling My Case? Law firms often have more than one attorney practicing. Find out exactly who will be handling your case, how much experience they have, who is supervising that person (if anyone), and how much communication you will have with them directly.
- What Type Of Compensation Am I Entitled To? An experienced personal injury lawyer will have a good idea of what type of compensation should legally be owed to you. If anything, they should be able to provide an approximation and how much of that will be paid toward their fees should you receive that amount.
- Other Costs – Some attorneys could have case-related charges that they tack on in addition to the contingency fee. Ask for a list of all the fees up front, and any fees that you are responsible for if you do not win your case.
- Timeline – You shouldn’t have to sit on your thumbs for months and months waiting to hear back from your attorney. Get as much detail about the timeline as possible from the beginning. Ask how long it takes to prepare the documents to be filed. Ask how long it is expected to complete the entire process. Find out how long you will be waiting and what you are supposed to do during that time period.
Remember, a personal injury lawyer should be able to help you. They should be able to answer your questions without stringing you along or confusing you. If you have suffered a personal injury in Billings, you can trust the experience professionals at Tourtlotte Law Firm to help guide you in the right direction, answer all of your questions, and make you feel 100% comfortable.